Share this page


Voter Information

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing website has general information about local government elections in British Columbia including a Voter's Guide that outlines who is qualified to vote.

General information for voters in the Islands Trust local elections is also available here. We will e-mail you the election results and other updates if you subscribe to Trust Council News.

Registering to Vote

To find out about procedures for registering to vote, check with elections staff in the Regional District responsible for elections in your area (see links below).

When and Where to Vote

Click here for more Information on where to vote.

Mail Ballot Voting

Mail ballot voting is available to registered resident electors and non-resident property electors in all local trust areas.

For detailed information on mail ballot voting, voter registration for mail ballot voters, and how to apply to receive a mail ballot, please contact the regional district responsible for elections in your local trust area (see contact information below).  Timelines are tight for mail ballots so don’t delay if you think you might not be near a polling station on election day and for advance voting days.

Qualifications for Registering as an Elector

There are two categories of electors for voting in local government elections: Resident Electors (you live in the community) and Non-Resident Property Electors (you own property in the community but live elsewhere).

Resident Electors

  • must be 18 years of age or older on or before General Voting Day;
  • must be a Canadian citizen;
  • must have been a resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
  • must be a resident of the jurisdiction for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
  • not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other Act from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.

Non-Resident Property Electors

If an Elector owns property in another jurisdiction other than the one they reside in, they may be eligible to register as a non-resident property elector. The Applicant must meet the following qualifications:

  • must be 18 years of age or older on or before general voting day;
  • must be a Canadian citizen;
  • must have been a resident of B.C. for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
  • must be a registered owner of real property in the jurisdiction for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration;
  • must not be eligible to register as a resident elector in the jurisdiction;
  • must only register in relation to one piece of property; and
  • if more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners.

To register on Voting Day as a Non-Resident Property Elector, the Elector must provide proof of ownership by way of a recent title search, State of Title Certificate or a Property Tax Notice showing the names of all the registered owners of the subject property.

Only one person may vote for the property. If there is more than one registered owner, a form must be signed by a majority of the owners consenting to the applicant registering on behalf of the property and presented on voting day.

Non-Resident Property Elector Consent Form

Proof of Identity

To register as a Resident Elector or a Non-Resident Property Elector, two pieces of identification must be provided. The documents must indicate the residential address of the applicant and a signature.

The following documents are acceptable for proof of identity when registering to vote:

  • BC driver's licence
  • BC ID card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch
  • BC CareCard or Gold CareCard
  • Request for Continued Assistance form SDES8
  • Social Insurance Card (Canada)
  • Citizenship Card (Canada)
  • Real property tax notice (municipal or rural)
  • Credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution
  • Utility bill


For information on the election process in your local trust area, please contact the elections staff for your regional district or island municipality. They are responsible for elections in your area.

Bowen Island
Tel: 604-947-4255

Comox Valley
Tel: 250.334.6000 or toll free 1.800.331.6007

Tel: 250.390.4111 or toll free 1.877.607.4111
North Pender/
South Pender/
Salt Spring/Saturna
Tel: 250.360.3129 or toll free 1.800.663.4425
local 3129
Tel: 604.885.6825 or 1-800-687-5753
 Passage/Bowyer (part of Gambier LTA)
Tel: 604.432.6338
Tel: 604.485.2260
Tel: 250.746.2503 or toll free 1.800.665.3955

Islands Trust election services are contracted to the Regional Districts in your area. If you are unable to get the answers you need on this web-site, or from your regional district elections staff, please contact:

Carmen Thiel
Legislative Services Manager
(Corporate Secretary)
(250) 405-5188

Mailing Address:
Islands Trust
200 - 1627 Fort St
Victoria, BC
V8R 1H8

Main: (250) 405-5151
Fax: (250) 405-5155

Page last updated: 17/12/18
© Islands Trust. All Rights Reserved.