At the regular business meeting on December 14, 2017, the Gabriola Island Local Trust Committee endorsed a Project Charter for the Mudge Island Targeted OCP/LUB Review Project.
The purpose of this project is to review the Mudge Island Official Community Plan (OCP) and Land Use Bylaw (LUB) in relation to lot coverage. This project responds to community concerns regarding the number of Development Variance Permit (DVP) applications to increase the maximum lot coverage on small lots on Mudge Island. Community concerns also exist around the need for water cisterns, which are “structures” under the current definition in the Mudge Island Land Use Bylaw, and therefore are currently included in the lot coverage calculation.
Planning staff will be working with the Mudge Island Advisory Planning Commission and the community regarding potential amendments to the Mudge Island Official Community Plan and Land Use Bylaw in relation to lot coverage, including:
- Modifying the definition of lot coverage to exempt cisterns or other structures to support water conservation;
- Modifying the maximum lot coverage in the rural residential zone;
- Regulating the size of dwellings and accessory buildings and structures;
- Regulating impermeable surface coverage; and
- Incorporating Mudge Island as a “Special Area” under the Gabriola Official Community Plan and Land Use Bylaw.
For more information about this project please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 250.247.2063
Advisory Planning Commission
Public Correspondence Received