The purpose of the provincial Riparian Areas Regulation (RAR) is to provide protection for riparian areas from development that would damage fish habitat. Riparian areas broadly refer to streams, lakes, and wetlands, but, the main focus of this initiative is on watercourses and watersheds that support fish habitat. Enacted in 2004, the RAR requires local governments in the province to adopt bylaws to control development within 30 metres of fish supporting streams. The Gambier Island Local Trust Committee and the Islands Trust are working to protect fish habitat through compliance with the British Columbia Riparian Areas Regulation (RAR).
Why do Riparian Areas Matter?
Riparian areas are ecosystems that surround rivers, streams, wetlands and other freshwater bodies. These important zones where the land meets the water are characterized by dense vegetation that thrives in moist soils and host a wide variety of plant and animal life. Riparian areas are vital not only to support the flora and fauna that call them home, but also because they create favourable habitat for anadromous fish (sea-going fish that return to freshwater to spawn), amphibians, and other aquatic species by filtering pollutants, slowing run-off and regulating water temperature.
It is critical that these unique ecosystems be protected from development. The Gambier Island Local Trust Committee is working to protect riparian areas in the Local Trust Area by using Development Permit Areas to require special consideration and protection measures when development is proposed near sensitive freshwater features.
Riparian Areas Regulation - Information Materials
Stream Mapping Reports
Due to the limited watershed data for the Gambier Local Trust Area, basic RAR applicability and mapping was completed in February 2015 for Gambier, Keats, Bowyer, and Anvil Islands. Mapping for the Thormanby Islands occurred in January 2016.
Staff Reports - Gambier Riparian Areas Regulation
- June 28, 2018 - Staff Report Riparian Areas Regulation Implementation
- May 24, 2018 - Staff Report Gambier Riparian Areas Project Charter update
- January 25, 2018 - Staff Report Gambier Riparian Areas Project update
- October 26, 2017 - Staff Report Gambier Riparian Areas Project update
- August 31, 2017 - Staff Report regarding minor amendments to Gambier Island Development Permit Area 3
- February 2, 2017 - Staff Report regarding expenditures
- May 19, 2016 – Staff Report presenting Draft Bylaws for RAR on Gambier Island
- January 21, 2016 – Preliminary Staff Report for RAR on Gambier Island
- June 18, 2015 - Summary of Madrone Report dated April 20, 2015 and considerations for next stepsMarch 26, 2015 – Memorandum reporting on project charter and recent mapping work completed
- March 20, 2014 - Further information on RAR and implementation options
- April 5, 2012 - Preliminary information on RAR and implementation across all Islands Trust Northern Local Trust Areas
Staff Reports - Associated Islands Riparian Areas Regulation
- March 8, 2018 - Memorandum with an update on the Gambier Associated Islands Streamside DPA
- October 26, 2017 - Staff report regarding Gambier Associated Islands Streamside DPA (Draft Bylaws 146 & 147)
- July 27, 2017 - Staff report regarding Streamside Protection DPA (Bowyer and Anvil)
- May 25, 2017 - Staff report regarding Gambier Associated Islands Streamside DPA
- April 27, 2017 - Staff report regarding Bowyer Island: Orchid Creek RAR Assessment
- November 17, 2016 – Staff Report outlining post-public hearing options for issues regarding RAR on Bowyer Island
- October 13, 2016 – Staff Report summarizing responses and suggested amendments to RAR bylaws for Keats Island and Associated Islands
- July 28, 2016 – Staff Report amending Proposed Bylaws for RAR on Keats Island
- March 17, 2016 - Staff Report presenting Bylaw Amendments for RAR on Thormanby Island (large file – 12 MB)
- November 19, 2015 – Preliminary Staff Report for RAR on Anvil and Bowyer Islands
- November 19, 2015 – Staff Report following up on questions regarding RAR on Keats Island
- October 1, 2015 - Staff Report presenting Draft Bylaws for RAR on Keats Island
Proposed Bylaws can be found on the Bylaws page