2015 Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee News
- December 18, 2015 | At the December 17, 2015 Meeting, two projects were initiated: a Piers Island OCP update to address Climate Change legislation and development of a heritage inventory for Salt Spring Island. As well, Proposed Bylaw No. 484 (well protection) was amended to narrow the scope of the bylaw to the Grantville neighbourhood. Applications: SS-ALR-2015.2 (Brinkworthy Sports Fields) was deferred allowing the applicant time for further community consultation; and Proposed Bylaw No. 485 (Sailing Club) was given second reading and a public hearing was scheduled.
- November 20, 2015 | At the November 19, 2015 Meeting, the SSILTC awarded the Protect Grace Islet group the 2015 Islands Trust Community Stewardship Award; A Public Hearing was held for Proposed Bylaw 483 (Abattoir); Draft Bylaw 484 (well protection) was sent for legal review; SS-HAP-2015.1 (heritage tree removal) was approved; SS-SUB-2014.8 (Maracaibo) cash in lieu of parkland dedication was accepted; covenants were approved for SS-SUB-2015.2 (281 Beaver Point Road); and a final Development Permit for SS-DP-2014.5 (Atkins Commons) was approved. The following were referred to the December 3rd Advisory Planning Commission Meetings: APC/AAPC - Draft Bylaw 487 (Intensive Agriculture in Rural Watersheds); APC - SS-RZ-2015.2 (Squash Club); AAPC - SS-ALR-2015.2 (Brinkworthy Sports Fields).
- November 19, 2015 | The 2016 Regular Meeting schedule for the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee has been approved. Click on the Meeting Calendar for dates, times and locations by month. You can also subscribe to our email notices.
- October 26, 2015 | The Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Authority (SSIWPA) has released the final version of its St. Mary Lake Integrated Watershed Management Plan 2015 – a collaborative interagency report planning for the future of St. Mary Lake.
- October 23, 2015 | At the October 22, 2015 Meeting, the SSILTC denied application SS-DVP-2015.5 (195 Harbourside Place), did not consider SS-DP-2015.6 (195 Harbourside Place); approved SS-DP-2015.8 (120 Drake Road); gave Proposed Bylaw No. 485 first reading (SS-RZ-2015.1, 150 Douglas Road); and accepted several covenants for subdivision applications SS-SUB-2014.2 & SS-SUB-2014.3 (2161 & 2163 Fulford-Ganges Road). Other significant resolutions included inviting the Lyackson First Nation to discuss issues of mutual interest.
- October 2, 2015 | At the October 1, 2015 Meeting, the SSILTC discussed a Watershed Management report and directed staff to issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) to contract services to develop a Water Conservation and Water Demand Management Plan exclusively for the North Salt Spring Waterworks District. Proposed Bylaw No. 484 (well protection on Salt Spring Island) was read a second time and staff have been directed to draft a bylaw for technical housekeeping amendments to Land Use Bylaw No. 355. SS-DVP-2015.6 (415 Dukes Road), SS-DP-2015.5 (154 Kings Lane) and SS-DP-2015.7 (202 Main Street) were approved. Two applications SS-HAP-2015.1 (111 Rainbow Road) and SS-DP-2014.5 (107 Atkins Road) were forwarded to the Advisory Planning Commission for comment and will be discussed at its October 15th meeting. Other significant resolutions included welcoming new Tseycum First Nation Chief Tanya Jimmy and a request for more information regarding the Manzanita Ridge Nature Reserve Management Plan.
- September 21, 2015 | Thank you to all who visited the Islands Trust booth at the Salt Spring Island Fall Fair and congratulations to our draw winners! If you are interested in an electronic copy of the Salt Spring Island Orthophoto Map that was on display at the Fall Fair and the Tuesday Farmers Market, click here.
- September 4, 2015 | At the September Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee Meeting, the 2016/17 Draft Project Budget Request was approved with revisions. To view the Draft 2016/17 Project Budget Request to be forwarded to the Financial Planning Committee, click here.
- September 3, 2015 | The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee gave first and second reading to Proposed Bylaw No. 483 which permits an abattoir in the In2(b) variant zone.
- July 9, 2015 | The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee gave first reading to Bylaw No. 484 which focuses on well protection on Salt Spring Island. Read more >>
- July 6, 2015 | Meet with Islands Trust Planners, bring your questions, learn about current Local Trust Committee Projects and peruse brochures, maps and bylaws covering various topics at Centennial Park each Tuesday from July 6th to August 28th between 2:00pm to 4:00pm.
- May 25, 2015 | Apply to become a member of the Board of Variance or an Advisory Planning Commission. Applications are open until June 12, 2015. Read more >> | Application Form
- May 14, 2015 | At today's meeting, the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee adopted Bylaw Nos. 480 (Salt Spring Island) and 482 (Prevost Island). These bylaws bring the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Area in compliance with the provincially mandated Riparian Areas Regulation (RAR). On Salt Spring Island, compliance with the RAR is through the creation of a new Development Permit Area, DPA7. For information, please visit the Riparian Areas Regulation Project webpage or contact staff at the Salt Spring Planning Office by phone: 250-537-9144 or by email: email@example.com.
- May 13, 2015 | A community incorporation committee is now being formed on Salt Spring Island to study the pros and cons of incorporation and inform the community. A community-based website is the official source of information about the locally-driven project. Visit our own page to learn about the Islands Trust's role in the study.
- April 6, 2015 | Apply to become a member of the Board of Variance or an Advisory Planning Commission. Applications are open until April 30, 2015. Read more >> | Application Form
- March 12, 2015 | The Islands Trust Fund has released its extensive Eelgrass Mapping report and associated maps. You can access the report here and view the maps for South Salt Spring Island here and North Salt Spring Island here. There will be a presentation of the report at the March 19, 2015 Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee meeting.
- March 2, 2015 | The Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Authority (SSIWPA), coordinated via delegated authority from the Islands Trust Council to the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee, completed the first of three workshops to address water quality issues in St. Mary Lake. For workshop details please visit the SSIWPA website.
- January 15, 2015 | The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee has requested a Special Property Tax Requisition of $119,500 to fund the coordination of collaborative watershed management on Salt Spring Island. Read more >>
- January 9, 2014 | The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee received the Industrial Advisory Planning Commission's Final Report and will be considering the next steps to encourage socio-economic diversity, economic sustainability and economic security by seeking to meet the needs for commercial and industrial lands for the next 25 years on Salt Spring Island. Read more >>
- January 8, 2015 | At its first meeting in 2015, the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee gave approval to a new Housing Agreement that allows up to 26 units of affordable housing to be constructed on Norton Road. The Agreement is the first on Salt Spring Island which restricts the purchase of housing to local employers or to persons of moderate income who are employed on island or who are retired after working on island. For information on the Housing Agreement or the zoning, please contact the Salt Spring Planning Office at 250-537-9144 or firstname.lastname@example.org regarding Bylaw 407 and Bylaw 469.
Page last updated: 13/04/18