2016 Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee News
- December 22, 2016 | The SSI LTC: adopted Technical Land Use Bylaw 492; approved issuance of a DP for 146 Natalie Lane; and accepted memos informing them that the ALC denied the application for non-farm use for 181 Brinkworthy Road.
- December 1, 2016 | THE SSI LTC: read Bylaw No. 493 (Piers Island OCP amendment) a third time and requested it be forwarded for approval by the Executive Committee; endorsed the Agriculture in Rural Watershed Zones Working Group Terms of Reference; approved the 120 Drake Road DVP application to reduce the setback from an interior side lot line; requested the applicant for 1429 Fulford-Ganges Road provide a revised proposal in accordance with relevant DPA guidelines; directed staff to draft a restrictive covenant for 231 Meadow Drive to implement the conditions required by the ALC; requested staff forward 300 Le Page Road to the ALC with support; requested the applicant for 902 and 952 Beaver Point Road submit a report which demonstrates how the subdivision plan conforms to OCP policies; approved issuance of a DP for 125 Mapleridge Place for a water line installation; established a Project to re-consider restrictions for Accessory Buildings without an Established Principal Use and requested staff provide options; and established a Project to undertake an environmental audit of our foreshore conservation areas and requested staff report on the resources needed to undertake such.
- November 3, 2016 | The SSILTC : requested that Bylaw Enforcement provide a report regarding the status of Short-Term Vacation Rentals and Airbnbs; amended Technical Land Use Bylaw Amendment Bylaw No. 492, gave it third reading and asked that it be forwarded for approval by the Executive Committee; directed staff to consult with local agricultural and environmental advocacy groups and to draft a terms of reference for a working group that will review proposed bylaw amendments introducing new agricultural regulations in the Rural Watershed 1 and 2 zones; requested staff refer Bylaw No. 497 (Lot 15 Park Drive) to the APC and public agencies for comment; and approved issuance of the DVP for 380 Long Harbour Road.
- October 13, 2016 | The SSILTC rescinded a previous resolution that the proposed Harbourwalk rezoning is consistent with the Islands Trust Policy Statement and resolved that the proposed Commercial 7 (C7) zone should be included in Development Permit Area 1. The SSI LTC also requested: staff prepare a draft bylaw to amend the LUB to rezone Lot 15, Park Drive from Commercial Accommodation 4 to Residential 6; staff refer 300 LePage Road to the AAPC; and approved revised Development Permit SS-DP-2014.5 for 107 Atkins Road.
- October 3, 2016 | The SSILTC convened a special business meeting and Public Hearing on Piers Island. The Public Hearing considered Bylaw 493 which would bring the Piers Island Official Community Plan into conformity with Section 473(3) of the Local Government Act by providing targets, policies and actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Read More >>
September 23, 2016 | The SSILTC: held a Public Hearing for Bylaw 492; received a road update from MOTI staff; approved the draft 2017/18 Project Budget; requested staff consult with SSIWPA to review the ToR for services relating to drought risk and detailed supply vs demand analyses of St. Mary and Maxwell Lakes; approved the DP application for 575 Mount Belcher Heights; approved the TUP renewal permitting the continued use of offices at 500 Lower Ganges Road; and directed staff to investigate the regulatory mechanisms at the disposal of the LTC to restrict North Salt Spring Waterworks District connection to only one building at 680 Sunset Drive.
September 19, 2016 | Thank you to all who visited the Islands Trust booth at the Salt Spring Island Fall Fair and congratulations to our draw winners! If you are interested in an electronic copy of the Salt Spring Island Orthophoto Map that was on display at the Fall Fair and the Tuesday Farmers Market, click here.
September 1, 2016 | The SSILTC gave first reading to Bylaw 487 which would implement setbacks from water bodies for agriculture practices in Rural Watershed zones (not in the Agricultural Land Reserve [ALR]). The SSILTC issued development variance permits for a new septic system in a well capture zone and another to permit use of a garage as a bedroom suite. The SSILTC accepted a water treatment covenant as condition of a subdivision; and referred a subdivision application in the ALR to the Agricultural Advisory Planning Commission. The SSILTC responded to communications regarding Owl Island.
- July 21, 2016 | The SSILTC: placed “Implementation of Secondary Suites and Cottages using Temporary Use Permits” as a Top Priority; directed staff to draft a Terms of Reference for a detailed peak day/month “supply versus demand” analysis to determine the current available yield of the St. Mary Lake and Maxwell Lake during peak summer demand periods; forwarded the non-farm use application for 181 Brinkworthy Road to the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC); deferred any further consideration of the rezoning application for 181 Brinkworthy Road until a response is received from the ALC; and approved a Temporary Use Permit for a coffee cart next to Fulford Community Hall.
- June 15, 2016 until August 16, 2016 | Planner in the Park booth
Are you curious about the Islands Trust? Would you like to know more about current land use projects affecting your community? Stop by our ‘Planner in the Park’ booth at the Tuesday Farmer’s Market! Islands Trust planning staff will be available Tuesday afternoons in Centennial Park to talk about the Islands Trust and land use planning on Salt Spring Island. This is an opportunity for you to ask questions, provide comments, and participate in Islands Trust projects. Please come visit us in the park!
- June 29, 2016 | The SSILTC referred the non-farm use application for 181 Brinkworthy Road to the Agricultural Advisory Planning Commission and the rezoning application for 181 Brinkworthy Road to the Advisory Planning Commission. Both commissions are to meet July 7, 2016. As well, the SSILTC considered amendments to the draft Industrial Project bylaws, approved a TUP for an in-vessel composting facility located on an industrial-zoned property and directed an applicant to submit a comprehensive water servicing plan before consideration of rezoning in the Ganges area. The SSILTC thanked the Students of Royal Roads University for their Clam Garden Project submission and voiced support for the CRD's use of funding to advance the Harbourwalk.
- May 10, 2016 | Organizations Team Up to Address Water Issues on Salt Spring Island
Following the May 5th meeting, the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee (SSILTC), the North Salt Spring Water Works District (the District) and the Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Authority (SSIWPA) will collaborate on finding solutions to potable water issues that balance the need for future development with the limited resources on the island.
- April 13, 2016 | Apply to become a member of the Board of Variance or an Advisory Planning Commission. Applications are accepted until April 29, 2016. Read more >> | Application Form
- April 8, 2016 | At the April 7, 2016 SSILTC Meeting, applications SS-DP-2015.11 (111 Rainbow Road); SS-TUP-2016.1 (151 Lower Ganges Road) and SS-DVP-2015.9 & SS-DP-2015.12 (175 Suffolk Road) were approved. A Cowichan Tribes Request for a Designated Use Area for Sansum Narrows and 2016/17 Project Budget Considerations were discussed. Additionally, the Local Trust Committee referred the Land Use Bylaw Technical Update (SS-BL-492) to the Advisory Planning Commission for consideration at their next meeting.
- March 31, 2016 | At its March 31, 2016 Special Meeting, the Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee received a report regarding a Piers Island Official Community Plan Update for Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) Reduction Targets and received the Final Draft OPUS Watershed Conservation and Demand Management Plan for Salt Spring Island conditional upon minor edits.
- March 11, 2016 | At the February 11, 2016 SSILTC Meeting Bylaws No. 488, 489, and 490 (Industrial Land Uses including Waste Management) were sent for referrals (without first reading); Bylaw No. 491 (Ganges Village Plan – Boardwalk) was sent for referrals and given first reading; Bylaw 484 (30m setback between septic and well) – was discussed. Bylaw No. 486 (SS-RZ-2015.2, SS Squash Club) was adopted; and several professional reports were requested before further processing of SS-RZ-2015.3 (Brinkworthy Sports Fields). The Local Trust Committee referred Bylaws No. 488, 489, 490 and 491 and SS-DP-2015.11 (111 Rainbow Road) to the Advisory Planning Commission for consideration at their next meeting.
- February 16, 2016 | You're invited to Community Information Sessions in one of three neighbourhoods targeted for Industrial Uses. Meet with Planners on February 16th in Fulford (10:00am to 12:00pm, Fulford Hall - Seniors Centre); Upper Ganges / Long Harbour (2:00pm to 4:00pm, Shared Space - Merchant Mews); or Rainbow / Atkins (5:30pm to 7:30pm, Gulf Islands Secondary School - Multipurpose Room). For more information, visit the Industrial Land Uses webpage, or, click on the Events Ad, News Release or Meeting Calendar.
- February 12, 2016 | At the February 11, 2016 SSILTC Meeting, a Public Hearing was held for Proposed Bylaw No. 486 (SS-RZ-2015.2, Squash Courts) which was also given third reading. Applications SS-DP-2015.4 (R. Barnard Design Ltd.) and SS-TUP-2015.3 (D. Brown) were approved; and Bylaw No. 485 (SS-RZ-2015.1, SSI Sailing Club) was adopted. The Local Trust Committee also received updates on the following projects: Watershed Management, Ganges Boardwalk and First Nations Heritage Sites.
- February 1, 2016 | The Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee has requested a Special Property Tax Requisition (SPTR) of $110,500 to fund the coordination of collaborative watershed management on Salt Spring Island. Visit the Watershed Management webpage for more information.
- January 27 & 30, 2016 | You’re invited! Attend two special meetings focused on community engagement for the Ganges Boardwalk taking place at Hart Bradley Hall (Lions Club) on January 27th (4:30pm to 7:00pm [PHOTOS]) and January 30th (1:00pm to 5:00pm). For more information, visit the Ganges Village Plan - Boardwalk webpage, or, click on the Events Ad, News Release or Meeting Calendar.
- January 20, 2015 | Visit our new Current Applications webpage to see information on current rezoning and temporary use permit applications as well as other significant applications.
- January 15, 2016 | At the January 14, 2016 SSILTC Meeting, a Public Hearing was held for Proposed Bylaw No. 485 (SSI Sailing Club) which was also given third reading. Applications SS-DVP-2015.7 (Carport in Setback), SS-DVP-2015.8 (Seasonal Cottage Above Garage), SS-SUB-2015.3 (10% Lot Frontage Exemption) and SS-DP-2015.9 (Abattoir) were approved; Proposed Bylaw No. 486 (SS-RZ-2015.2, Squash Courts) was given second reading and a public hearing was scheduled; and Proposed Bylaw No. 483 (SS-RZ-2014.2, Abattoir) was given third reading. A resolution was passed to commence of enforcement on specific unlawful dwellings in accordance with recommendation (2) in the Bylaw Enforcement Update staff report.
Page last updated: 04/03/19