Share this page


The Islands Trust Area

  • You are here: 
  • Home > 
  • Islands > 
  • Other jurisdictions

Working with Other Agencies

The Islands Trust works cooperatively with First Nations, Federal, Provincial and regional agencies to further the object of the Islands Trust. We have established protocol agreements with many agencies that outline areas of joint interest and how we will work together.

Building Inspection

The building inspection function is the responsibility of regional districts. In the Denman, Hornby and Lasqueti Local Trust Areas, the regional districts do not provide building inspection services. In most cases, the building inspectors interpret local zoning and land use bylaws when issuing building permits; in cases where the building inspector is not sure of the zoning, the building inspector will refer the permit application to Islands Trust planners to confirm compliance with zoning regulations.

^ top

Minor Bylaw Variances

Landowners may find that zoning regulations create problems when applied to their property; in these cases, the landowner may seek relief from the bylaw by applying to the local trust committee for a Development Variance Permit or to the Board of Variance for a Board of Variance Order.

The Local Trust Committee may issue a Development Variance Permit to vary any construction and layout of trailer courts, siting, size, height, location and dimensions of any development, off-street parking requirements, run-off control requirements, signage requirements, screening and landscaping requirements, flood plain requirements, farming regulations in a farming area and subdivision and development requirements.

The Board of Variance is made up of three members appointed by the local trust committee. The Board of Variance may issue an Order to vary the siting, size and dimensions of a building or structure, the siting of a manufactured home in a manufactured home park, or  a subdivision servicing requirement in areas zoned agriculture or industrial, The Board of Variance may also vary the prohibition on structural alterations or additions where the use is considered legally non-conforming. The board of variance usually only considers minor variances in which the zoning regulations create a clear hardship.

A Development Variance Permit or a Board of Variance Order cannot vary use or density.

Applying for a Variance - Fact Sheet

^ top

Agricultural Land Reserve

Land in the Agricultural Land Reserve is subject to the Agricultural Land Commission Act and the Agricultural Land Reserve Use,Subdivision and Procedure Regulation. Generally, this land is protected for agricultural purposes, though the Commission does allow other uses. Applications for non-farm uses, subdivision in the ALR, or for exclusion from the land reserve should be made through your local trust committee. In December 2012, Provincial Agricultural Land Commission Chair Richard Bullock spoke to Trust Council about recent and planned changes to the Commission and provided an opportunity for trustees to ask questions and discuss issues related to the Agricultural Land Reserve in island communities. There a video clip of this event below.

^ top

Sewage and Waste Disposal

Sewage and waste disposal is regulated by the local Health authority except in cases where the volume of waste exceeds 5,000 imperial gallons per day, in which case the BC Ministry of Environment is responsible.

^ top

Water Supply

In most areas of the Islands Trust, local water supply is supplied through private wells. Currently BC does not regulate private groundwater use: however, land owners should take care not to disrupt the water supply to neighboring wells when drilling for a new water supply. Some areas of the Islands Trust are supplied by community water systems. These systems are either operated by the regional district or privately as a strata corporation or as an improvement district. Local trust committees can protect groundwater using land use planning tools. The Islands Trust also promotes sustainable water use and advocates on behalf of islanders for better provincial water legislation.

^ top

Mines and Quarries

The Ministry of Energy, Mines and Natural Gas issues permits for mines and quarries including sand and gravel extraction. Please contact the Ministry for permit requirements.

^ top

Highway Access Permit

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is responsible for the safety of the provincial highway system; this includes all roads, lanes and unopened right-of-ways in the Islands Trust Area (except for Bowen Island, where the municipality is responsible). Before building a driveway connection to a road you should ensure that your driveway connection is consistent with Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure's standards. For commercial and industrial uses, you must obtain a Highway Access Permit from the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastrcuture.

^ top

Crown Land Tenures

The Integrated Land Management Bureau, in the Ministry of Forests,Lands and Natural Resource Operations administers all publicly owned Crown land (except for parks and ecological reserves) in the Province; this includes all of the foreshore and surface of the sea and most lakes. Landowners wishing to place a dock on the foreshore adjacent to their property, or have any other kind of tenure, such as an aquaculture lease, must first obtain a license of occupation from The Integrated Land Management Bureau.  The Integrated Land Management Bureaurefers applications to the Islands Trust to confirm that the zoning is in place for the requested use. 

^ top

Subdivision Approval

In the Islands Trust Area, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is responsible for approving subdivisions (except on Bowen Island, where the municipality is responsible). The Approving Officer will issue a Preliminary Layout Approval (PLA), if the application appears to be consistent with the local zoning bylaws. The Approving Officer requires written confirmation from the Islands Trust planning staff that the proposed subdivision meets all local bylaws prior to issuing the PLA. Therefore, landowners should contact the Islands Trust planning staff early to discuss zoning issues.

Making changes to your Lot Line -  Fact Sheet

^ top

National Parks

The Gulf Islands National Park Reserve includes large areas of Saturna, Mayne, North Pender and South Pender islands as well as many smaller islands in the vicinity. Planning and administration of the park is the responsibility of Parks Canada.

^ top

Provincial Parks

Provincial Parks are on larger islands and many smaller islands, and include the many marine parks with water access only. The Ministry of Environment is responsible for planning and administration of these parks.

^ top

Regional Parks

Regional Parks are on located on many islands, some adjacent to Provincial parks. The local regional district is responsible for planning and administration of these parks.

^ top

Local Parks

Local Parks include small water accesses, trails, playgrounds and sports fields. These parks are planned and administered by a local parks and recreation commission under the jurisdiction of the Regional District or directly by the Regional District if no commission is appointed. On Bowen Island the parks are administered by the Bowen Island Municipal Council.

^ top

Liquor Control and Licenses

The Liquor Control and Licensing Branch is responsible for Liquor control and licensing. Some applications for new licenses or expansion of existing licenses are referred to the local trust committee for comment and community input.

^ top

Communications Towers

Industry Canada is responsible for regulating all communication towers. Industry Canada works with local communities and the local trust committees during the review of new tower applications.

^ top


Low-flying aircraft can be noisy and disruptive to sensitive wildlife. At the request of the Islands Trust, Transport Canada issued the advisories below to pilots to make them aware of sensitive areas in the Islands Trust Area. With sufficient evidence, Transport Canada can initiate enforcement against aircraft that fly below 500 feet.  Enquiries and complaints about low-flying aircraft can be made to Transport Canada at 604-666-5586.

^ top

Page last updated: 21/03/17
© Islands Trust. All Rights Reserved.