Forests are vitally important to the health and well-being of the Islands Trust Area. Forests sustain freshwater, species habitat, and biodiversity.
Islands Trust is here to work with you to ensure the preservation and protection of forests for generations to come.
What we are doing
- Helping you protect forest areas with the Natural Area Protection Tax Exemption Program (NAPTEP)
- Working with First Nations and conservation groups to monitor nature reserves and conservation covenants
- Asking the Province to change the Private Managed Forest Land Act to allow local trust committees to regulate, but not prohibit, forest activities on PMFL lands
- Asking the Province to enhance the Trust’s jurisdiction over tree cutting to make its jurisdiction equal to that of municipalities
- Working with science and cultural knowledge holders to understand how climate change could impact sensitive forest areas
Our Island Ecosystems page contains information on the Coastal Douglas-fir Zone and the Western Hemlock Zones. It includes links to Coastal Douglas-fir/Coastal Western Hemlock Forest fact sheets for each local trust area.